WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Puerto Rico

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 25, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in Puerto Rico?

No. Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Puerto Rico.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone (if that is an option) rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders section for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Puerto Rico, you may possibly be able to get a new one issued in Puerto Rico but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred there. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Puerto Rico, visit our PR Domestic Violence Protective Orders page.