WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Pennsylvania

Restraining Orders

View all
March 4, 2019

How do I extend my protection from abuse order?

If there was a violation of the PFA and a criminal contempt hearing is pending, your PFA will be extended until the end of the criminal hearing and possibly longer. However, even if there is no contempt hearing pending, you can still file to extend your order by returning to the courthouse and filing for an extension of your PFA. The judge can extend a final PFA if s/he believes that the abuser committed one or more acts of abuse while you had the final order or behaved in other ways that indicate a continued risk of harm to the you or your child. If necessary, the order can be extended more than once. There is no limit on the number of extensions that may be granted.1

1 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 6108(e)