Legal Information: Minnesota

Restraining Orders

View all
May 10, 2022

Can I get my order for protection from Minnesota enforced in another state?

Your order for protection is good everywhere in the state of Minnesota. Additionally, the federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands.  Please see our Moving to Another State with a Protection Order page for more information. If you are moving to a new state, you may also want to call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) for information on enforcing your order in another state.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.