WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Minnesota

Restraining Orders

View all
December 18, 2023

Who can file a contempt of court petition to report a violation to the judge?

In addition to reporting a violation to the law enforcement, another way to report a violation is by filing a petition to hold the abuser in contempt of court in the court that issued the harassment restraining order.1 The following people can file a petition for contempt:

  • you (the harassment victim);
  • a peace officer; or
  • an “interested party” who is chosen by the judge.

The judge will then issue an order requiring the abuser to appear in court within 14 days to explain why s/he should not be held in contempt of court. The judge can also refer the violations to the appropriate prosecuting authority.2

1 MN Code § 609.748(6)(h)
2 MN Code § 609.748(6)(i)