Legal Information: Minnesota

Restraining Orders

View all
August 6, 2020

Do I need to tell the court in Minnesota if I move?

The law says that a petitioner who has an order for protection is supposed to give notification of a change in residence immediately to the court administrator and to the local law enforcement agency having jurisdiction over the new residence of where you are moving to.1
You are not required to tell the court in Minnesota if you move, but it might be a good idea to give the court a current address so that you can be notified of any actions that are taken regarding your order for protection.

If you notify the court administrator at the court that gave you the order that you are moving to an address that is covered by a different local law enforcement agency than your current one, the court administrator must forward a copy of your order to the new law enforcement agency within 24 hours.2 If you do not tell the court that you are moving, it is still a good idea to send a copy of your order to the law enforcement agency in your new town to make enforcement easier.

If you provide your new address to the court, you can ask them to keep it confidential. It will be kept in a confidential part of your file, and the public will not have access to it. However, your new address could possibly be released to court officials in your new state or law enforcement officials in either Minnesota or your new state.3

1 MN Statutes § 518B.01(13)(c)(1)
2 MN Statutes § 518B.01(13)(b)
3 MN Statutes § 518B.01(3b)

WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.