WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Minnesota

Restraining Orders

View all
August 6, 2020

How do I register my protection order in Minnesota?

You (or the court that issued your order) can provide a certified or authenticated copy of your out-of-state protective order to the court administrator in the county where you are living (or in any of the counties mentioned here, if applicable).1  If the copy you have is not certified or authenticated, you can still file it if you swear in an affidavit that it is an accurate, valid copy.2  

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Minnesota for assistance. To find a lawyer or legal aid program in your area, please visit our MN Finding a Lawyer page.

1 MN Statutes § 518B.01(19a)(b)
2 MN Statutes § 518B.01(19a)(c)