Legal Information: Minnesota

Restraining Orders

View all
August 15, 2016

I was granted temporary custody with my protection order. Will I still have temporary custody of my children in MN?

Yes. As long as the child custody provision complies with certain federal laws,1 Minnesota can enforce a temporary custody order that is a part of a protection order.

To have someone read over your order and tell you if it meets this legal standard, contact a lawyer in your area. To find a lawyer in your area please visit our MN Finding a Lawyer page under the Places that Help tab.

1 The federal laws are the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction Act (UCCJA) or the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act (UCCJEA), and the Parental Kidnapping Prevention Act of 1980.