WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Louisiana

Restraining Orders

View all
July 8, 2021

Can I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in LA?

No. Only the state that issued your protective order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Louisiana.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  You will need to contact the clerk of court in your area to find out if this is possible. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Louisiana, you may be able to get a new one issued in Louisiana but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Louisiana. To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Louisiana, visit our Protective Orders page.