Legal Information: Louisiana

Restraining Orders

View all
March 18, 2022

What happens if I move?

If you move within Louisiana, your order will still be valid and good.  It is a good idea to call the clerk to change your address.  Read more about this on our Moving with a Protective Order page.

Additionally, the federal law provides what is called “Full Faith and Credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands.  If you are moving to a new state, you may want to call the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit (1-800-903-0111 x 2) for information on enforcing your order in another state.

Note:  For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.