Legal Information: Louisiana

Restraining Orders

View all
March 18, 2022

How do I change or extend my protective order?

If you wish to change the terms of the order, a “Request to Modify” can be filed. A judge can modify a protective order to exclude any item included in the prior order, or to include any item that could have been included in the prior order.1

If you want to extend your protective order, you must apply for an extension (a motion to modify the order) before your original order expires. A judge can extend an order in the judge’s discretion. The abuser may file to modify the indefinite term of the protective over (if your order has an indefinite term) - if so, you should be notified of this hearing.2

1 LA R.S. 46:2136(D)(1)
2 LA R.S. 46:2136(F)(1),(2)(c)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.