Legal Information: Florida

Restraining Orders

View all
March 3, 2022

My order is going to expire soon. Can I extend it?

If your injunction for protection against domestic violence is soon going to expire, you can ask the court for an extension of the order before it expires. You would file your motion for an extension in the circuit court clerk’s office. You will probably have to fill out a petition similar to the one you filled out for the original order. Each time you ask for an extension, it can be extended up to one year. The judge has broad discretion when deciding whether to grant an extension after considering the circumstances of why you want it. You do NOT have to allege new incidents of violence1 but you should be prepared to explain why you still need protection.

1 See Fla. Stat. § 741.30(6)(c)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.