WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Florida

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
October 6, 2023

What is the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Registry? Who has access to it?

The National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC) is a nationwide, electronic database used by law enforcement agencies in the U.S, Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is managed by the FBI and state law enforcement officials.

Before moving to Florida, the state that issued your protection order may already have entered your order into the NCIC. If not, your order should be entered into the NCIC once your order is registered in FL. You may want to call your local sheriff department to find out if your order was entered.

All law enforcement officials have access to the NCIC database, but the information is encrypted so outsiders cannot access it.

How do I register my protection order in Florida?

You can register your protection order by presenting two certified copies to any state sheriff and requesting that it be entered in the Florida injunction registry, which is a database available to all Florida law enforcement officers. You will likely have to sign an affidavit (a sworn statement) that to the best of your knowledge, that the protection order is currently in effect, has not been replaced by another order, and that the abuser has been given a copy of the order.1   The sheriff will assign a case number and give you a receipt showing registration of the foreign order in Florida. There will be no fee for registration of a foreign order.2  To find a sheriff department near you, go to FL Sheriff Departments.

If you need help registering your injunction, you can contact a local domestic violence center in Florida for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our FL Advocates and Shelters page.

1 Fla. Stat. § 741.315(3)(a)
2 Fla. Stat. § 741.315(3)(b)

Do I have to register my protection order in FL in order to get it enforced?

No. Florida state law gives full protection to an out-of-state protection order as long as it meets the federal requirements, as explained in How do I know if my protection order is good under federal law?  It does not have to be registered in Florida for a Florida police officer to enforce your order.

Will the abuser be notified if I register my protection order?

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies to all U.S. states and territories, the court is not permitted to notify the abuser when a protective order has been registered or filed in a new state unless you specifically request that the abuser be notified.1  However, you may wish to confirm that the clerk is aware of this law before registering the order if your address is confidential.

However, remember that there may be a possibility that the abuser could somehow find out what state you have moved to.  It is important to continue to safety plan, even if you are no longer in the state where the abuser is living.  We have some safety planning tips to get you started on our Staying Safe page.  You can also contact a local domestic violence organization to get help in developing a personalized safety plan. You will find contact information for organizations in your area on our FL Advocates and Shelters page.

1 18 USC § 2265(d)

Does it cost anything to register my protection order?

No. There is no fee for registering your protection order in Florida.1

1 Fla. Stat. § 741.315(3)(b)