Legal Information: Florida

Restraining Orders

View all
October 6, 2023

What can I do to be safe besides getting an injunction?

You may be able to file criminal charges against the abuser, depending on the circumstances.  You can do this by going to the police station.  Be aware, however, that if you later decide not to pursue your complaint, the state of Florida will not necessarily drop the criminal charges.  Unlike an injunction, which is considered a private matter, a criminal charge is considered a public offense.  The state may decide to prosecute the accused abuser even if you are no longer interested in taking action.

Whether or not you decide to get an injunction, you should consider making a plan for your safety.  See our Safety Planning page for more information.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.