WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Florida

Restraining Orders

View all
October 6, 2023

How do I register my protection order in Florida?

You can register your protection order by presenting two certified copies to any state sheriff and requesting that it be entered in the Florida injunction registry, which is a database available to all Florida law enforcement officers. You will likely have to sign an affidavit (a sworn statement) that to the best of your knowledge, that the protection order is currently in effect, has not been replaced by another order, and that the abuser has been given a copy of the order.1   The sheriff will assign a case number and give you a receipt showing registration of the foreign order in Florida. There will be no fee for registration of a foreign order.2  To find a sheriff department near you, go to FL Sheriff Departments.

If you need help registering your injunction, you can contact a local domestic violence center in Florida for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our FL Advocates and Shelters page.

1 Fla. Stat. § 741.315(3)(a)
2 Fla. Stat. § 741.315(3)(b)