WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of January 3, 2024

Is there anything I can do if my abusive partner continually files court proceedings against me?

In any family relations matter, the judge has the power to punish (sanction) the abuser if s/he is filing motions or petitions in a pattern that the judge believes is “frivolous and intentionally fabricated.” In other words, there is no good reason for the abuser to file against you and s/he is making up these claims. If you think the abuser is doing this, you can file a motion or raise the issue with the judge while you are in court. If the judge does sanction the abuser, the punishment will be focused on making the case move forward without delay.1

“Family relations matters” means the following types of cases:

  1. separation, annulment, or divorce proceedings;
  2. alimony, support, and custody related to a separation, annulment, or divorce;
  3. name changes;
  4. relief from abuse orders;
  5. civil support obligations;
  6. custody and visitation, including habeas corpus;
  7. habeas corpus cases brought on behalf of a mentally ill person, unless that person has been charged with a crime;
  8. appointment of a commission to investigate whether someone is wrongfully confined;
  9. juvenile matters;
  10. paternity/parentage;
  11. appeals from probate court related to:
    • adoption or termination of parental rights;
    • appointment and removal of a guardian or conservator;
    • custody; or
    • orders of commitment;
  12. any of the following from another state or country:
    • prenuptial or separation agreements;
    • matrimonial or civil union decrees; or
    • divorce, separation, or annulment of a civil union;
  13. interstate custody under the UCCJEA; or
  14. any other matter concerning children or family relations that are within the power (jurisdiction) of the Superior Court.2 

1 C.G.S. § 46b-1a
2 C.G.S. § 46b-1(a)