WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
January 3, 2024

What is the Connecticut automated registry of protective orders?  Who has access to it?

The Connecticut automated registry of protective orders contains all restraining orders that have been issued by the Connecticut courts, and all foreign orders of protection that have been registered with the Superior Court.

Any judge of the Superior Court or any employee of the Judicial Department who is authorized by the Chief Court Administrator will have access to the information in the registry. It is not open to the public.1

1 C.G.S. § 51-5c

How do I register my foreign order of protection in Connecticut?

To register your protection order in Connecticut, you can send the following to the superior court:

  • a letter or other document requesting registration;
  • two copies, including one certified copy, of the foreign order of protection sought to be registered and a statement under the penalty of perjury (i.e., a sworn affidavit) that, to the best of your knowledge, the order has not been changed in any way; and
  • your name and address, except if giving your name and address would put your safety in danger.1

See Do I need anything special to get my restraining order enforced? to find out how to get a certified copy of your order.

Note: If it is not safe for you to give out your physical address, you can fill out the “Request for Nondisclosure of Location Information” form (JDFM 188), which is available online and at the superior court. Make sure to give this form to the clerk of court when you are registering your order. Go to our CT Download Court Forms page to find links to many forms online. You will have to provide a mailing address for the court, but you do not have to give your physical address.

To find the superior court in your district, go to our CT Courthouse Locations page.

Once the superior court receives all of this information from you, your protection order will be filed as a foreign judgment, and will be entered into the Connecticut automated registry of protective orders.2

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Connecticut for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our CT Advocates and Shelters page.

1 C.G.S. § 46b-15a(f)
2 C.G.S. § 46b-15a(g)

Do I have to register my protection order in Connecticut in order to get it enforced?

Connecticut state law gives full protection to an out-of-state protection order that appears real and true on its face. It does not have to be entered into the state registry in order to be enforced by a Connecticut police officer.1

1 C.G.S. § 46b-15a

Can I get my protection order enforced in Connecticut? What are the requirements?

Your protection order can be enforced in Connecticut as long as:

  • It was issued to prevent violent or threatening acts, harassing behavior, sexual violence, or it was issued to prevent another person from coming near you or contacting you.1
  • The court that issued the order had jurisdiction over the people and case. (In other words, the court had the authority to hear the case.)
  • The abuser received notice of the order and had an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story.
    • In the case of ex parte temporary and emergency orders, the abuser must receive notice and have an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story at a hearing that is scheduled before the temporary order expires.2

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2266(5)
2 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a), (b)

Can I restrict who has access to my personal information in the Connecticut protection order registry?

If you have a protection order in the registry, you can request in writing that your name and address not be given out to anyone, except for the law enforcement agency in the town where you reside, the town where you work, or the town where the abuser lives.

To do this, you must file a Request for nondisclosure of information in protection order registry, form JD-CL-80 at the superior court in your district. This can be done when you are registering your order or after you have registered.

What if I don’t register my protection order?  Will it be more difficult to have it enforced?

While neither federal law nor state law requires that you register your protection order in order to get it enforced, if your order is not entered into the Connecticut state registry, it may be more difficult for a Connecticut law enforcement official to determine whether your order is real. Meaning, it could take longer to get your order enforced.

If you are unsure about whether registering your order is the right decision for you, you may want to contact a local domestic violence organization in your area. An advocate there can help you decide what the safest plan of action is for you in Connecticut. To see a list of local domestic violence organizations, go to our CT Advocates and Shelters page.

Does it cost anything to register my protection order?

There is no fee for registering your protection order.