WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.
Let us know: How can WomensLaw better serve you during these difficult times?

Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
November 2, 2019

Can I change or extend my order?

To change (modify) your order, you would file a modification petition with the clerk and a hearing would be held.

To extend an order, you would file a motion to extend the order with the clerk and a hearing would be held. The order can be renewed for such additional time as the judge believes is necessary.1 The Connecticut Judicial Branch website suggests filing the motion to extend two to three weeks before your order is set to expire.2

1 C.G.S. § 46b-15(g)
2 CT Judicial Branch website’s brochure