Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
December 28, 2022

Can I have my out-of-state restraining order changed, extended, or canceled in Connecticut?

Generally, only the state that issued your restraining order can change, extend, or cancel the order.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Connecticut, you may be able to get a new one issued in Connecticut but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Connecticut. To find out more information on how to get a restraining order in Connecticut, visit our Restraining Orders (Relief from Abuse Orders) page.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.