Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
October 6, 2018

Can I get someone to help me through this process?  Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your restraining order enforced in another state.   

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to.  A domestic violence advocate can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your restraining order, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.  

To find a domestic violence advocate or an attorney in the state you are moving to, select the state from the box in the top left corner of this page or go to the Places that Help tab on the top of this page.