WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
November 2, 2019

Where can I file for a restraining order?

You can file for a restraining order in the superior court1 of the judicial district where you or the abuser lives.2 If you are unsure what judicial district you live in, you may want to contact an attorney that is familiar with Connecticut state laws. Please see our CT Finding a Lawyer page for your state for more information.

1 C.G.S. § 46b-15(a)
2 C.G.S. § 51-345