WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Connecticut

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
January 3, 2024

How do I register my foreign order of protection in Connecticut?

To register your protection order in Connecticut, you can send the following to the superior court:

  • a letter or other document requesting registration;
  • two copies, including one certified copy, of the foreign order of protection sought to be registered and a statement under the penalty of perjury (i.e., a sworn affidavit) that, to the best of your knowledge, the order has not been changed in any way; and
  • your name and address, except if giving your name and address would put your safety in danger.1

See Do I need anything special to get my restraining order enforced? to find out how to get a certified copy of your order.

Note: If it is not safe for you to give out your physical address, you can fill out the “Request for Nondisclosure of Location Information” form (JDFM 188), which is available online and at the superior court. Make sure to give this form to the clerk of court when you are registering your order. Go to our CT Download Court Forms page to find links to many forms online. You will have to provide a mailing address for the court, but you do not have to give your physical address.

To find the superior court in your district, go to our CT Courthouse Locations page.

Once the superior court receives all of this information from you, your protection order will be filed as a foreign judgment, and will be entered into the Connecticut automated registry of protective orders.2

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Connecticut for assistance. You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our CT Advocates and Shelters page.

1 C.G.S. § 46b-15a(f)
2 C.G.S. § 46b-15a(g)