WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oklahoma

Restraining Orders

View all
December 8, 2023

Am I eligible to file for a protective order?

You can seek legal protection from acts of domestic abuse committed by a current or former intimate partner or family or household member, which includes:

  • a spouse or ex-spouse;
  • someone with whom you have a biological child in common;
  • someone you are dating or used to date;
  • someone with whom you lived in an intimate way;1
  • parents, grandparents, stepparents, adoptive parents, and foster parents;
  • children, grandchildren, stepchildren, adopted children, and foster children; or
  • anyone related to you by blood or marriage, regardless of whether you are living in the same household or not.2

Additionally, you may be able to petition for a protective order against someone who is not a family or household member if any of the following apply:

  1. if you are the immediate family member of a victim of first degree murder, you can file against the person who committed the murder; or
  2. if you are a victim of one of the following acts committed by anyone, regardless of your relationship to that person:
  • rape;
  • forcible sodomy;
  • a sex offense;
  • kidnapping;
  • child abuse;
  • assault and battery with a deadly weapon;3 or
  • any other crime – but this only applies to adult crime victims, not minors.4

If you are asking for a protective order against someone who is not a family or household member or someone you have dated, you are required to file a police report against this person before filing a petition with the district court. You will be required to give a copy of this report to the judge unless the police already provided it to the court directly.4  

Minors who are 16 or 17 years old can file for an order themselves. A minor who is under 16 years old must have an adult family or household member file on his/her behalf.4

Note: If you are filing against a minor who is age 13 or older, you must file your petition in the local court that has power (jurisdiction) over juvenile matters.5

If you do not qualify for a domestic violence protective order, you may qualify for a stalking protective order or a victim protective order for violence by a non-intimate partner.

1 22 O.S. § 60.1(2), (6)
2 22 O.S. § 60.1(2), (3)
3 22 O.S. § 60.2(G)
4 22 O.S. § 60.2(A)
5 22 O.S. § 60.2(A)(1)