WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oklahoma

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of December 8, 2023

What happens if I move?

Your protective order is good everywhere in the state of Oklahoma and in all other states.1 Federal law provides what is called “Full Faith and Credit,” which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands.2 Different states may have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. You can find out about your new state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in the area you are moving to or by calling the National Center on Full Faith and Credit (1-800-903-0111 x2).

Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

1 22 O.S. § 60.7
2 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a)&(b)