WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Oklahoma

Restraining Orders

View all
December 8, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Oklahoma?

Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Oklahoma.  To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page and select the state where your order was issued from the drop-down menu.

If your order does expire while you are living in Oklahoma, you may be able to get a new one issued in Oklahoma but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Oklahoma.  Also, it is important to know that if you do file for a new order in Oklahoma, the abuser will be notified and will have an opportunity to come to the hearing in Oklahoma to defend himself/herself against the order.1  If you do not want the abuser to find out that you are in Oklahoma, you may not want to file for a new order in Oklahoma.

To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Oklahoma, visit our Domestic Violence Protective Orders page.

1 22 O.S. § 60.4(1)