Who can get a protection order?
You may file for a protection order if you have been the victim of abuse by:
- Your spouse or former spouse;
- Your parent;
- Your brother or sister;
- Your grandparent;
- Family members related to you by blood, adoption, or marriage;
- Anyone you live with or formerly lived with;
- Anyone with whom you have had a child even if you were not married; or
- Anyone you are or were in a dating relationship with.*
A custodial or noncustodial parent or guardian may file a petition on behalf of a minor child (under 18)** who is the victim of domestic violence.*
In Idaho, you can apply for a protection order against a current or former same-sex partner.
* I.C. § 39-6304; § 39-6303
** I.C. § 32-101