Legal Information: Idaho

Restraining Orders

View all
July 16, 2017

Who can get a protection order?

You may file for a protection order if you have been the victim of abuse by:

  • Your spouse or former spouse;
  • Your parent;
  • Your brother or sister;
  • Your grandparent;
  • Family members related to you by blood, adoption, or marriage;
  • Anyone you live with or formerly lived with;
  • Anyone with whom you have had a child even if you were not married; or
  • Anyone you are or were in a dating relationship with.*

A custodial or noncustodial parent or guardian may file a petition on behalf of a minor child (under 18)** who is the victim of domestic violence.*

In Idaho, you can apply for a protection order against a current or former same-sex partner.

* I.C. § 39-6304; § 39-6303
** I.C. § 32-101