WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Idaho

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 7, 2023

Do I need a special copy of my protection order to have it enforced?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your protection order. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy. It is signed and initialed by the clerk of court and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. 

The copy you originally got may or may not have been a certified copy. If you do not have a certified copy, call or go to the court that gave you the order. Ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy. The court may charge you a small fee to get a certified copy of an Idaho protection order.

Note: It is a good idea to always have a copy of the protection order with you. Bring several copies with you when you move. Leave copies at your workplace, at your home, at your children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a trusted neighbor, and so on. Give a copy to the security guard or front desk person if there is one where you live or work. Give a copy of the protection order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.