WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Idaho

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 7, 2023

I have a temporary (or ex parte) order.  Can it be enforced in another state?

An ex parte temporary order can be enforced in other states as long as it meets the requirements listed in How do I know if my protection order is good under federal law?1

Note: The state where you are going generally cannot renew your ex parte temporary order or issue you a permanent order when the ex parte temporary one expires. If you need to renew your ex parte temporary order, you will have to contact the state that issued it and arrange to be at the hearing. You may need to appear in person or, if the judge allows it, by telephone or video call. However, you may be able to apply for a new order in the state that you are moving to if you meet the requirements for getting a protective order there. Keep in mind that if you apply in your new state, the abuser would know what state you are living in, which may put you in danger.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(b)(2)