WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Idaho

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 7, 2023

How do I get my protection order enforced in another state? 

You do not have to take any special steps to get your protection order enforced in another state. Many states have a process to register or file an out-of-state order to make it easier to enforce if the abuser breaks the order. However, you can still get a valid protection order enforced in another state even if you do not register or file it.1 For your safety, always keep a copy of your protection order with you.

It can help to know the rules in any state where you will live or visit. For example, in some states, you may need a certified copy of your out-of-state protection order. Knowing the rules in your new state may help you get the police or courts to enforce your order quickly.

A domestic violence organization can tell you how this works in your area. To find one, visit our Advocates and Shelters page and choose your new state in the drop-down menu.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(d)(2)

Do I need a special copy of my protection order to have it enforced?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your protection order. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy. It is signed and initialed by the clerk of court and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. 

The copy you originally got may or may not have been a certified copy. If you do not have a certified copy, call or go to the court that gave you the order. Ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy. The court may charge you a small fee to get a certified copy of an Idaho protection order.

Note: It is a good idea to always have a copy of the protection order with you. Bring several copies with you when you move. Leave copies at your workplace, at your home, at your children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a trusted neighbor, and so on. Give a copy to the security guard or front desk person if there is one where you live or work. Give a copy of the protection order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

Can I get someone to help me? Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your protection order enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to. A domestic violence advocate can tell you what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your protection order. S/he may also be able to help you through the process if you decide to register it.

To find a domestic violence advocate or lawyer in the state to which you are moving, go to the Places that Help page and select that state from the drop-down menu.