WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Idaho

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 7, 2023

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Idaho?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel it. To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will likely have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to ask to attend the court hearing by telephone or video rather than in person so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser lives. Find out if this is possible by calling the clerk of the court that issued your order. To learn more about changing your order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued. To get the information for the court that issued your order, go to Courthouse Locations and choose the state from the drop-down menu.

If your order expires while you are living in Idaho, you may be able to get a new protection order in Idaho. However, this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Idaho. To find out how to get a protection order in Idaho, visit our Idaho Restraining Orders page.