Legal Information: California

Restraining Orders

View all
September 12, 2023

Do I need anything special to get my DVRO enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your DVRO. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. In California, a certified order is stamped with a seal and endorsed by the court clerk.1

The 5 copies you originally received in court when you got your DVRO should have been certified copies. If you no longer have a certified copy, go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy. Although you cannot be charged a fee when you initially received the 5 certified copies,1 it is possible that for additional certified copies there may be a charge.

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You will also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move. Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work along with a photo of the abuser. Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

1 Ann.Cal.Fam.Code § 6387

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.