WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: California

Restraining Orders

View all
January 11, 2024

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in CA?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You likely cannot have this done by a court in California.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone or electronic means rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in California, you may be able to get a new one issued in California but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in California.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in California, visit our CA Restraining Orders page.