Legal Information: California

Restraining Orders

View all
February 16, 2022

Can I get someone to help me? Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your DVRO enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to.  A domestic violence advocate can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your DVRO, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.

To find a domestic violence advocate or an attorney in the state you are moving to, select your state from the Places that Help tab on the top of this page and then click on Advocates and Shelters to find an advocate or click on Finding a Lawyer to find legal help.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.