Sec. 45.48.400. Use of social security number
(a) A person may not
(1) intentionally communicate or otherwise make available to the general public an individual’s social security number;
(2) print an individual’s social security number on a card required for the individual to access products or services provided by the person;
(3) require an individual to transmit the individual’s social security number over the Internet unless the Internet connection is secure or the social security number is encrypted;
(4) require an individual to use the individual’s social security number to access an Internet website unless a password, a unique personal identification number, or another authentication device is also required to access the website; or
(5) print an individual’s social security number on material that is mailed to the individual unless
(A) local, state, or federal law, including a regulation adopted under AS 45.48.470, expressly authorizes placement of the social security number on the material; or
(B) the social security number is included on an application or other form, including a document sent as a part of an application process or an enrollment process, sent by mail to establish, amend, or terminate an account, a contract, or a policy, or to confirm the accuracy of the social security number; however, a social security number allowed to be mailed under this subparagraph may not be printed, in whole or in part, on a postcard or other mailer that does not require an envelope, or in a manner that makes the social security number visible on the envelope or without the envelope’s being opened.
(b) The prohibitions in (a) of this section do not apply if the person is engaging in the business of government and
(1) is authorized by law to communicate or otherwise make available to the general public the individual’s social security number; or
(2) the communicating or otherwise making available of the individual’s social security number is required for the performance of the person’s duties or responsibilities as provided by law.