WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Washington

Restraining Orders

View all
December 3, 2020

How can I modify (change) or renew my civil anti-harassment order?

To modify (change) your civil anti-harassment order, you will need to apply for a modification in court, and the abuser will have to be notified and have a chance to state his/her position to either object or consent to the modification. The court will have a hearing and may modify the terms of an existing order.1

To renew your civil anti-harassment order, you will need to file a petition for renewal within the three months before the expiration of the order. The petition should state the reasons why you wish to renew the anti-harassment order. The court will order a hearing no more than 14 days from the date it received the petition for renewal. The abuser must be notified at least five days before the hearing. The judge will grant the petition for renewal unless the abuser can prove that s/he will not start to harass you again when the order expires. The judge may renew the civil anti-harassment order for another fixed time period or may enter a permanent order.2

1 R.C.W. § 10.14.180
2 R.C.W. § 10.14.080(5)