WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Washington

Restraining Orders

View all
December 3, 2020

Do I need anything special to get my domestic violence order for protection enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your domestic violence order for protection. A certified copy from Washington will have a stamp on the first or last page that says “Certified Copy.” The last page will have a signature by the deputy clerk and a seal that you can feel is raised from the page.

To get a certified copy you can either go to the courthouse and request one or mail in a request.

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You may also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move to leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. You may want to give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work along with a picture of the abuser and give copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.