WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Washington

Restraining Orders

View all
December 3, 2020

Do I need to tell the court in Washington if I move?

If you won’t be getting mail at your old address, you may want to give the court a new address where your mail can be sent. The court that gave you your order for protection likely should have an up-to-date address for you at all times so that you can be notified in case the abuser asks the judge to change or dismiss the order.

If you provide your new address to the court staff, make sure they know that you want to keep it confidential. It should be kept in a confidential part of your file where the public will not have access to it. If you feel unsafe giving your new address, you may be able to use the address of a friend you trust or a P.O. box instead.