WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nebraska

Restraining Orders

View all
December 18, 2023

How do I register my protection order in Nebraska?

To register your protection order in Nebraska, you need to present a certified copy of your order either to the Nebraska State Patrol or to the county or district court clerk.1  You might also be able to fax your copy to the State Patrol to get it registered.  Call the State Patrol headquarters at (402) 471-4545 to find out if this is possible in your area.

There is no fee to register your protection order, but you may be asked to sign an affidavit (a sworn statement in writing) saying that the order is still in effect.2  When your order is registered, the clerk or officer will give you a certified copy of your registered order.3  It’s a good idea to bring your photo ID with you when you register your order - this is required in some counties.  Depending on what county you’re in, you might also be asked to fill out an information form or to present proof of service (something that says that the abuser had notice of the order).

If you need help registering your protection order, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Nebraska for assistance.  You can find contact information for organizations in your area here on our NE Places that Help page.

1 NE ST § 42-936 (a)(1),(2)
2 NE ST § 42-936 (d),(f)
3 NE ST § 42-936(b)