What should I do when I leave the courthouse?
There are several things that you may want to consider doing upon leaving the courthouse. You will have to evaluate each one and see if it is safe for your situation. You may want to:
- Review the order before you leave the courthouse. If something is wrong or missing, ask the clerk how to correct the order before you leave.
- Keep a copy of the order with you at all times.
- Make several copies of the order as soon as possible and leave copies of the order at your workplace, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on.
- Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work along with a photo of the abuser.
- Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.
- If the court has not given you an extra copy for your local law enforcement agency, take one of your extra copies and deliver it to them.
- You may wish to consider changing your locks and your phone number.
For more ways to stay safe, go to our Safety Planning page.