WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nebraska

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
April 26, 2024

What can I do if the abuser violates the order?

If the abuser violates the order, you can call the police or sheriff, even if you think it is a minor violation. It can be a Class I misdemeanor to violate a protection order. If the abuser has a prior conviction for violating any protection order, then violating your order can be a Class IV felony.1

Nebraska law requires that an arrest be made if “probable cause” exists that the respondent violated a domestic abuse protection order.2 If you feel that law enforcement officers did not respond according to Nebraska law, you could contact an attorney to see what legal actions, if any, can be taken. Go to our NE Finding a Lawyer page for legal referrals.

If the police become involved, it is generally a good idea to write down the names of the responding officers and their badge numbers in case you want to follow up on your case. Ideally, a police report should be filled out even if no arrest is made. If you have legal documentation of all violations of the order, it may be useful in the future.

For more information about contempt, including the difference between criminal contempt and civil contempt, go to our general Domestic Violence Restraining Orders page.

1 NE R.S. § 42-924(4)
2 NE R.S. § 42-928