WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nebraska

Restraining Orders

View all
December 18, 2023

Do I need to tell the court in Nebraska if I move?

The court needs to have an up-to-date address for you in order to communicate with you if anything happens to your protection order - for example, if the abuser asks the court to dismiss the order or if your order is changed in any way. The court will only communicate with you by mail. If they do not have an up to date address for you, you may miss some of these notices.

If you provide your new address to the court, you can ask that it be kept confidential. It will be kept in a confidential part of your file, and the public will not have access to it. However, your new address could possibly be released to court officials in your new state or law enforcement officials in either Nebraska or your new state. If you feel nervous about giving your address to the court, ask the clerk about applying for a substitute address with the Nebraska Secretary of State. You can have mail forwarded to your new address through the Secretary of State, and they won’t disclose your information.1

1 NE ST § 42-1204(1)