WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Nebraska

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
April 26, 2024

What happens if I move?

Federal law provides what is called “full faith and credit,” which means that once you have a protection order, it is valid throughout the United States, including U.S. territories and tribal lands.

Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state orders. You can find out about your new state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your new area.

You may want to call the court where you originally received the order to tell them your new address so that they can contact you if necessary - be sure to let them know if the address is confidential and ask how to make sure it cannot be accessed by the respondent.

To read more about this, please visit our Moving to Another State with a Protection Order page.