Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
September 28, 2017

Who can get a protection from abuse order?

You can seek legal protection from acts of abuse done to you or your minor child by:

  • Your current or former spouse;
  • Someone with whom you have a child in common;
  • Someone with whom who you live/d;
  • Your current or former sexual partner;
  • Someone you are related to by blood or marriage;
  • Someone you are currently dating or formerly dated (regardless of whether or not you had a sexual relationship);
  • Anyone who has committed stalking or sexual assault against you or your minor child - the perpetrator does not have to be a family/household member or dating partner; or
  • An extended family member or an unpaid care provider if you are 60 years of age or older, or a dependent adult, or an incapacitated adult.1  (For more information, see our Protection from Abuse Orders (for the elderly/dependent/incapacitated) page.)

You can ask for an order on behalf of a child for whom you are responsible.  If you are both being abused, you can ask the court to grant an order that will protect both of you.

If you are being harassed by someone who has a relationship to you that is not listed above, you may be eligible for a protection from harassment (PFH) order.  See our Protection from Harassment Orders section for more information.

1ME ST T. 19-A § 4005(1)