WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Maine Suing an Abuser for Money

Laws current as of
November 28, 2023

Suing an Abuser for Money

You may have a right to seek justice from the abuser through the court system where you live. When people are injured by others, they are permitted to seek what the law refers to as “damages,” in the form of money, for such things as medical bills, lost wages or employment, physical and emotional pain and suffering, and, in some cases, to punish the abuser. Each state has its own laws on these subjects but, for the most part, they are very similar when it comes to injuries from abuse. To do this, you will most likely need the help of a lawyer. Some lawyers will take a case like this for a “contingent fee,” which means the lawyer doesn’t get paid unless you win in court, and then s/he takes some percentage, usually a third, of whatever damages the judge orders. Sometimes the judge will order the defendant to pay for your attorney’s fees.

If your damages are below a certain amount, you may be able to file on your own in small claims court. Small claims court is a less formal type of court, and many people are able to go to small claims court without the help of an attorney.

In Maine, you may file in small claims court on your own for anything that is $6,000 or less. If you want to sue for more, you will have to file in regular district court and may need the help of a lawyer. You may talk to the clerk of court for help in filing a lawsuit in small claims court. For more information on small claims court in Maine please visit the State of Maine Judicial Branch website.

In addition, Maine law specifically makes clear that if you are a tenant in a rental unit and the abuser committed domestic violence, sexual assault or stalking against you, your family/household members or your guest in the rental home, the abuser is liable to the tenant for damages. Such damages could include, but are not limited to, moving costs, back rent, current rent, damage to the unit, court costs and attorney’s fees. It doesn’t matter if the abuser is also a tenant in that home or not.1

Maine law also specifically allows you to sue someone who:

  • removes a condom during sexual intercourse without your consent; 
  • falsely convinces you that a condom is being used; 
  • tampers with the condom so that it is ineffective; or
  • purposefully uses a damaged condom.2

You can sue for compensatory damages, which includes past and future medical expenses, lost earnings, pain, suffering, mental anguish, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life, as well as punitive damages, which aims to punish the defendant. You would also be entitled to your attorney’s fees and costs if you win the case.2

If you need help in finding a lawyer who can take your case for a contingent fee, you can contact the National Crime Victim Bar Association, which offers lawyer referrals to crime victims seeking to sue offenders.  

1 ME ST T. 14 § 6010
2 ME ST T. 14 § 8305