WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
November 28, 2023

What can I do if the harasser violates the order?

If you believe the harasser has violated the order, you can immediately call the police. If the harasser was served with the protection from harassment order or consent agreement (or was present in court when it was issued against him/her) and violates the order or agreement, the police can immediately arrest him/her.1

Violation of certain parts of a protective order is a Class D crime, punishable by up to 364 days in jail and a $2,000 fine. In certain cases, a violation may be a Class C felony, or may be contempt of court.2

If the harasser is ordered to pay you money and hasn’t paid, you may be able to file a petition for contempt. To do so, you will want to go back to the courthouse where the order was issued.3

1 5 M.R.S. § 4659(2)
2 A Guide to Protection from Abuse & Harassment Cases on the Maine Courts website
3 See Pine Tree Legal Assistance’s Protection from Harassment page