WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of
November 28, 2023

How do I register my protection order in Maine? Do I have to register it to get it enforced?

You can register your out-of-state protection order in the office of the clerk of any District Court or of any Superior Court in Maine. The clerk must treat the order in the same manner as an order that was issued in Maine would be treated.1 Bring a certified copy of the order along with a photocopy of the order.

You do not need a lawyer to register your protection order. If you are confused or worried about the process, you can contact a local domestic violence organization in Maine to ask for help from a local advocate. To find a local domestic violence organization in Maine, please go to our Maine Advocates and Shelters page.

In terms of whether or not you need to register your order, police officers are required by federal law to enforce your protection order, whether or not it is registered. However, it can sometimes be easier to enforce an order that is registered.

1 ME ST T. 14 § 8003