WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
Laws current as of November 28, 2023

Do I need anything special to get my protection from abuse order enforced?

In most states, you will need a certified copy of your protection from abuse order.  A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp.

In Maine, a certified copy has a raised seal. If your copy is not a certified copy, call or go to the court that gave you the order and ask for a certified copy. You can find contact information for courthouses in Maine on our Maine Courthouse Locations page.