WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
November 28, 2023

Who can get a protection from abuse order?

You can file for a protection from abuse order based on acts of abuse done to you or your minor child by a family or household member or dating partner, defined as:

  • your current or former spouse;
  • someone with whom you have a child in common;
  • someone with whom you live or used to live;
  • your current or former sexual partner;
  • someone you are related to by blood or marriage;
  • someone you are currently dating or formerly dated regardless of whether or not you had a sexual relationship.1

An adult or a minor can file for a protection from abuse order against anyone, regardless of the relationship who has committed one of the acts of abuse explained in What is the legal definition of abuse in Maine?2

If you are 60 years of age or older, a dependent adult, or an incapacitated adult, you can also file for a protection from abuse order against an extended family member or an unpaid care provider.3 For more information, see our Protection from Abuse Orders (for the elderly/dependent/incapacitated) page.

If you are not eligible based on the information above, see our Protection from Harassment Orders section to see if you qualify for that order.

1 ME ST T. 19-A § 4102(6)
2 ME ST T. 19-A § 4103(1)(B)
3 ME ST T. 19-A § 4103(3)