Legal Information: Maine

Restraining Orders

View all
December 28, 2022

Can I get someone to help me through this process? Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your protection from abuse order enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to.  A domestic violence advocate can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your order, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.

To find a domestic violence advocate or an attorney in the state to which you are moving, go to our Finding a Lawyer page and select the appropriate state from the drop-down menu.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.