Legal Information: Guam

Restraining Orders

View all
December 7, 2022

I have a preliminary (ex parte) order. Can it be enforced in another state?

Yes. An ex parte preliminary order can be enforced in other states as long as it meets the requirements listed in How do I know if my order of protection is good under federal law?1

Note: The state where you are going generally cannot extend your ex parte preliminary order or issue you a permanent order when the temporary one expires. If you need to extend your preliminary order, you will have to contact the state that issued the order and arrange to be at the hearing in person or by telephone (if that is an option offered by the court). However, you may be able to reapply for one in the new state that you are moving to if you meet the requirements for getting a protective order in that state – but, if you apply for one in a new state, the abuser would know what state you are living in, which may put you in danger.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(b)(2)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.