Legal Information: Guam

Restraining Orders

View all
December 7, 2022

How do I get my order of protection enforced in another state?

Federal law does not require you to take any special steps to get your order of protection enforced in another state.

Many states do have laws or regulations (rules) about registering or filing of out-of-state orders, which can make enforcement easier, but a valid order of protection is enforceable regardless of whether it has been registered or filed in the new state.1 Rules differ from state to state, so it may be helpful to find out what the rules are in your new state. You can contact a local domestic violence organization for more information by visiting our Advocates and Shelters page and entering your new state in the drop-down menu.

Note: It is important to keep a copy of your order of protection with you at all times. It is also a good idea to know the rules of states you will be living in or visiting to ensure that your out-of-state order can be enforced in a timely manner.

1 18 U.S.C. § 2265(d)(2)

Do I need anything special to get my order of protection enforced in another state?

In some states, you will need a certified copy of your order of protection. A certified copy says that it is a “true and correct” copy; it is signed and initialed by the clerk of court that gave you the order, and usually has some kind of court stamp on it. In Guam, a certified order usually has a stamped seal on it.

The copy you originally received may not be a certified copy. If your copy is not a certified copy, call or go to the court that gave you the order and ask the clerk’s office for a certified copy. Ask if there is a fee to get a certified copy.

Note: It is a good idea to keep a copy of the order with you at all times. You will also want to bring several copies of the order with you when you move. Leave copies of the order at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work. Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

Can I get someone to help me? Do I need a lawyer?

You do not need a lawyer to get your order of protection enforced in another state.

However, you may want to get help from a local domestic violence advocate or attorney in the state that you move to. A domestic violence advocate can let you know what the advantages and disadvantages are for registering your order of protection, and help you through the process if you decide to do so.

To find a domestic violence advocate or an attorney in the state you are moving to, select your state from the Places that Help tab on the top of this page and then click Finding a Lawyer.


Do I need to tell the Court in Guam if I move?

Probably. If you won’t be getting mail at your old address, the court that gave you your protective order needs to have an up-to-date address for you. That’s because they may communicate with you by mail if anything happens to your protective order - for example, if your abuser asks the court to dismiss the order or if your order is changed in any way. If you will not be receiving mail at your old address, you must provide the Court with a new address where you can receive mail.

If you provide your new address to the Court, they should keep it confidential, but please double check this with the clerk of court. Ask whether your new address will be kept confidential to the public, including your abuser. Your new address could possibly be released to court officials in your new state or law enforcement officials. If you feel unsafe giving your new address, you might want to use the address of a friend you trust or a P.O. Box instead.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.